4- I am doing and I do - part 2

* We use continuous tenses only for actions and happenings.

- They are studying English at Plugnet with J.B.
- It is raining outside.

* Some verbs ( for example , know and like ) are not action verbs. You cannot say :

- I am knowing somebody
- They are liking to study English.

* You can only say :

- I know somebody.
- They like to study English.

Here is a list of verbs not normally used in continuous tenses:

like - love - hate - want - need - prefer - know - realise - suppose - mean - understand - believe - remember - belong - contain - consist - depend - seem

1- I'm tired . I need some time to rest ( not I'm needing ...)
2- Your class is very good . I understand better now. ( not I'm understanding ...)
3- Do you understand what I mean ? ( not Are you understanding what I mean? )
4- She believes in everything I say . ( not She is believing ...)

* When the verb "to think " means believe, do not use the continuous.

- What do you think will happen with me? ( not What are you thinking...)

* but you can use the continuous in these cases:

- You look serious. What are you thinking about? I mean : What is going on in your mind?

- I'm thinking of opening a new English group. Actually I'm considering that this is possible.

* When the verb "to have " means posses, do not use the continuous.

- We are enjoying our holiday. We have a nice room in the hotel.

* but you can use in this case:

- We are enjoying our holiday. We are having a great time here.

0 comentários: